Some days, I just can’t deal with washing my hair. I mean, the time and effort that goes into it… it’s just too much work. Who has time for that? Not me.
Well don’t you worry my friends, because washing you hair too often can actually be bad. Yup, you heard me. Bad.
I was so delighted to hear this news (you’d think I found $20 in my pocket!). I had heard it before, but wasn’t sure how much I believed it. Plus, the more frequently I work out, the more I sweat which means the more I have to wash my hair. Ugh. Sometimes you just can’t win. But most of the time, you can.
So how often should you wash your hair then? Well, it depends on your hair type and how often you get dirty (not just day-to-day dirty, I’m talking work out, traveling, play in the sand kind of dirty. otherwise, a little dirt won’t hurt:) — typically, washing your hair 3 times a week is more than enough. If you wash your hair more often than that, it’s time to wean off it it. I promise, your hair will get used to it and become less and less dull and greasy. Just give it time.
Here are some tips on how to keep your hair looking fresh even after a few days of no wash and better yet, a workout with no wash (but yes, please still wash your body!).
1. First, start by lengthening your no-wash-hair by one day, then two, etc. After a few weeks of lengthening the time in between washes, your hair will start to acclimate.
2. Shower caps are your best friend. (Seriously, I have many thanks to the hotels I visit!)
3. Use the right shampoo for your hair type. I liked this post from Refinery29 here!
4. Don’t overdo the conditioner (this isn’t junior high any more where having the softest, shiniest hair made you more popular and Herbal Essences conditioner was the golden ticket.)
5. Limit smoothing serums to the ends of your hair. If you need something to keep the frizz down, use a little hair spray or spray moroccan oil (this one’s my favorite!).
6. Use dry shampoo or my favorite, baby powder, when your roots are looking greasy.
7. Wear a hat, headband, braid or ponytail on the final days of your no-wash stretch. Plus it switches up your style which is always fun!
So tell us, what are your tips & tricks for keeping your hair looking fresh without over-washing?
Let us know in the comments below! #DIYbeauty #locallifestyle #sharingiscaring #unwashedhairdontcare #alittledirtcanthurt